Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Applied Mathematics @Sydney
Closing date: Thursday 12 January 2023; 11:59pm
Campus: School of Mathematics and Statistics at the Camperdown Campus, The University of Sydney
Remuneration: Base Salary Level B/C, $113,184 – $159,867 + 17% superannuation
Status: Full time continuing opportunity.
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Lecturer (B) /Senior Lecturer (C) in Applied Mathematics to join leading experts at the School of Mathematics and Statistics, within the Faculty of Science. We are one of the largest mathematical sciences schools in Australia, and the University of Sydney is the only Australian university to have received the highest rating of 5 out of 5 for research in the mathematical sciences in every Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia assessment to date.
As a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Applied Mathematics you will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to teaching and learning design, delivery, and evaluation while continuing to build your research contribution, expertise and impact. We are welcoming applicants from different research backgrounds who can bring their own research agenda, complementing the Schools’ current research foci, whilst benefiting from our supportive community of world-class mathematicians and statisticians. Applicants with expertise in computational Mathematics or optimization are particularly encouraged to apply.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer who has:
• a PhD in Applied Mathematics, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, or related areas
• evidence of independent research ability
• evidence of ability, versatility and commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching
• experience supervising research students
• a developing network of relationships with key academic, industry, and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders
• experience in supervising or mentoring others and/or coordinating team activities
• a developing knowledge and understanding of the key strategic issues in the discipline and higher education sector
For appointment at Level C, we would like to see evidence of:
• experience supervising students at postgraduate level
• experience lecturing applied mathematics, pure mathematics, statistics, or data science
• significant contribution to research and practice in the discipline, compatible with Senior Lecturer standards at The University of Sydney
To apply for this role, please submit the below three documents in addition to your CV, in support of your application:
- cover letter outlining your suitability for this position and indicating whether you are applying for this role at a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level.
- research statement, with a focus on where you see your research in 5 years
- teaching statement, with a focus on approaches you utilize for effective teaching in small and large class sizes
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
For more information and to apply: https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Darlington-Campus/Lecturer-Senior-Lecturer-in-Applied-Mathematics_0098923-2
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.