Position: CEO, Simon Marais Mathematics Competition — Remote location, 0.6 FTE equivalent.
Location: Simon Marais Mathematics Competition Ltd.
Salary: FTE Salary (inc. 11% superannuation) A$200k; i.e. A$120k for 0.6 FTE.
Duration: Contract of up to 5 years with the possibility of extension subject to funding.
Closing date: 31 March 2024
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) reports to and collaborates with the Board. The CEO’s primary tasks encompass fostering and strengthening relationships with universities, mathematics associations, sponsors, and stakeholders globally and within Australia. Of equal importance, the CEO is accountable for the Competition’s effective operation. This includes interacting with an academic oversight committee, directly supervising administrative tasks, optimising organisational resources, and implementing best-practice business management and governance. Such responsibility extends to financial processes and procedures. Leveraging networks, the CEO will aim to enhance the Competition’s participation growth.
Overview of Simon Marais Mathematics Competition Limited (‘SMMC’):
SMMC was established as an Australian-registered charity in 2017. It is supported through philanthropic donations, principally a long-term funding commitment from the Marais family. The objectives of the Competition are to encourage creative mathematical problem-solving among undergraduate students, identify talented students across many regions of the world, and promote healthy competition among students and universities. It also aims to forge links between academics involved in the Competition. To those ends, the core activity of SMMC is to hold an annual competition, currently across two divisions in the Asia Pacific, Europe and Africa.
– Lead the activities involved in running an annual undergraduate mathematics competition.
– Lead a reputable not-for-profit organisation to implement strategic plans and develop best practice governance and management.
– Support the work of an academic oversight body and integrate their recommendations regarding academic aspects of the Competition.
– Support the work of the Problem Committee, key to the reputation of the Competition.
– Lead a combination of direct and indirect staff, volunteers and other stakeholders.
– Work with a supportive Board, as well as major donors and sponsors.
– Utilise your relationship, commercial and partnership skills to maintain and grow the Competition, and manage and deliver on budgets.
What previous experience or knowledge would be advantageous?
– Proven expertise in best practice governance and management of not-for-profit organisations, including financial oversight.
– A good understanding of the Australian university mathematics community, either through previous employment or collaboration, or as the holder of a tertiary degree with a strong mathematical component.
– A track record of constructive interaction with donors and sponsors.
How to apply
– You must be an Australian citizen or able to work in Australia.
– Send applications, including a cover letter addressing key functions and criteria, as well as your CV to:
Dr Suhas Nayak (SMMC), via e-mail at email@example.com.