WIMSIG NEWSLETTER — May 2018
European Girls Maths Olympiad
This was the first time that Australia has sent a team to EGMO. Congratulations to the fabulous girls and their mentors!
Want tips on creating cultural change? Inclusion Nudges is a website dedicated to cataloging small actions that increase inclusion in organisations.
Resonance — Special International Women’s Day Edition
The Indian Academy of Sciences publishes a magazine called Resonance consisting of popular science articles. This year, the special issue of Resonance for International Women’s Day is available online.
AMSI Optimise 2018 – Decision Making Under Uncertainty and Humanitarian Applications
- The University of Melbourne
- June 18—22, 2018
ChooseMATHS grants are available for female students and early career researchers.
AMSI Winter School 2018 on Curvature
- The University of Queensland
- July 2—13, 2018
ChooseMaths grants are available for female students and early career researchers.
Homeward Bound is a unique program taking a group of female STEM professionals on a trip to the Antarctic. WIMSIG member Susan Scott (ANU) was on the second Homeward Bound voyage at the beginning of this year.
Applications are now open for the fourth Homeward Bound Voyage. Applications close May 18, 2018.
La Trobe University
- Lecturer in Applied Mathematics (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Sunday 27 May, 2018
AustMS Medal, George Szekeres Medal & Gavin Brown Prize
A full call for nominations, including details of the rules, was published in the March 2018 Gazette.
Australian Research Council
- ARC Executive Director, Mathematical and Physical Sciences
— Closing date: Thursday 21 June, 2018
- Opinion: How to tackle the childcare–conference conundrum,
PNAS – March 5, 2018
- Gender inequality in the sciences: Why is it still with us?,
naturejobs newsletter – April 9, 2018
- New study says the gender gap in science could take generations to fix, The Conversation – April 20, 2018
- Women in tech suffer because of American myth of meritocracy,
The Conversation – April 24, 2018
- Why short ‘unconscious bias’ programs aren’t enough to end racial harassment and discrimination, The Conversation – April 24, 2018
- The V-C club: one third women but light on diversity,
The Australian – April 25, 2018
Have you read an interesting article? Have some news? Have an opportunity available?
Please send items to WIMSIGfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Newsletters are published on the 1st day of each month (or soon after). The deadline for submitted items is the 27th day of each month.