WIMSIG NEWSLETTER – May 2015
This month the Women in Mathematics Special Interest Group Newsletter features some events that you may be interested in.
Women in Mathematics Mid-Year Gatherings
- WIMSIG gatherings are held mid-year and end-of-year in as many cities as we have volunteer organisers.
- These get-togethers are a great opportunity to meet other mathematicians, build informal networks, and support each other.
- Interested people of all genders are welcome.
- Catering is provided so please RSVP to the local event organiser.
- Download the poster (PDF, 398KB).
- Friday 22 May, 12:00pm-2:00pm (AEST)
- UNSW Mathematics Department
- Tea Room in the Richard Berry building
- Organised by: Deborah Cromer
- Thursday 11 June, 12:00pm (AEST)
- University of Tasmania, Sandy Bay campus
- RSVP: Barbara Holland
- Friday 12 June, 1:00pm-2:30pm (AEST)
- RMIT, School of Mathematics (Building 8, Level 18, Room 9)
- RSVP: Arathi Arkala
- Tuesday 16 June, 2:30pm-3:30pm (AEST)
- Australian National University, Common Room, 1st floor, John Dedman Building
- RSVP: Joan Licata
- Wednesday 17 June, 10:00am (CST)
- UniSA, Mawson Lakes Campus, V1-04
- RSVP: Bronwyn Hajek
- Wednesday 24 June, 10:30am-12:00pm (AEST)
- The University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus
- RSVP (by June 17): Vivien Challis or Barbara Maenhaut
- Date: TBA (in conjunction with CONASTA)
- Curtin University (Bentley Campus), Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- RSVP: Heather Lonsdale
AMSI Winter School 2015
- The 2015 AMSI Winter School on Algebra, Geometry & Physics will be held at The University of Queensland from June 29 to July 10, 2015.
- There will be a Women in Maths Networking Event featuring academic and industry mathematicians on Thursday 2 July from 5:00-7:00pm in the Science Learning Centre, Level 2, Priestley Building 67.
- RSVP here.
- Feature Speakers:
- Dr Nora Ganter (The University of Melbourne)
- Dr Joan Licata (Australian National University)
- Dr Maithili Mehta (SilverRail)
- Rebecca Lowik (National Australia Bank)
- Download the poster (PDF, 625KB).
Workshop on Geometric Quantisation – July 2015
- The IGA/AMSI Workshop on Geometric Quantisation will be held at The University of Adelaide from July 27-31, 2015.
- The workshop features a large number of well-known international speakers, including several female invited speakers.
- A highlight of the workshop will be a talk by the world-renowned female mathematician Prof Michèle Vergne.
Annual Meeting of the Australian Mathematical Society 2015
- The 59th Annual Meeting of the Australian Mathematical Society will be held at Flinders University from September 28 to October 1, 2015.
- There will again be a Women in Mathematics Dinner.
- Register for the dinner via a check box on the last page of the conference registration form.
Do you have an event you’d like promoted?
- We would be happy to advertise to our membership any conference or workshop that has specific and suitable measures in place to increase female participation.
- See the WIMSIG Events page for an advice sheet for event organisers.
- If you would like your event to be advertised to the WIMSIG membership, please contact the group’s webmaster, Amy Glen.