WIMSIG NEWSLETTER — September 2023
Get involved in WIMSIG!
We are looking for WIMSIG members who would like to get more involved in some of our activities. Here are some ways you could contribute to WIMSIG’s goals of supporting women, trans and gender diverse people in the mathematical sciences in Australia:
- WIMSIG Incoming Chair (from January 2024)
- WIMSIG Secretary (from January 2024)
- Student Member — WIMSIG Executive Committee (from January 2024)
- Awards Committee Member (from October 2023)
- Newsletter Editor (from January 2024)
- Website Editor (from November 2023)
If you are interested in any of these roles, or would like more information, please email WIMSIG Chair, Jennifer Flegg (WIMSIGfirstname.lastname@example.org). Even if you’re just curious about possibly doing any of these roles in the future, we would love to hear from you.
WIMSIG is pleased to announce that planning is under way for the WIMSIG2024 conference, to be held at the Sydney Mathematical Research Institute.
Please save the date: 1–2 October 2024
The conference organising committee will be chaired by Prof Catherine Greenhill (UNSW). More details will be coming soon; please keep an eye on the WIMSIG Newsletter.
ARC Funding Awards
Congratulations to the recent round of ARC Fellowships awarded! In particular, we congratulate the following women in maths and stats.
- Leah South (QUT)
- Mareike Dressler (UNSW)
- Adrianne Jenner (QUT)
- Asilata Bapat (ANU)
Future Fellowship Awardee
- Serena Dipierro (UWA)
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Environmental Modelling (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Sunday 17 September 2023
La Trobe University
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Level B/C) in Pure Mathematics (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Sunday 17 September 2023
Western Sydney University
- Lecturer (Level B) in Mathematics (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Friday 29 September 2023
WIMSIG Praeger and Street Awards
WIMSIG is calling for applications for the Cheryl E. Praeger Travel and Anne Penfold Street Awards, for which the second round of 2023 is closing on October 1.
The Awards are funded by the Australian Mathematical Society (AustMS) and are an initiative of WIMSIG, which administers them. Awards are determined on a competitive basis by a selection committee of distinguished mathematicians, appointed by the Executive Committee of WIMSIG.
- The AustMS WIMSIG Cheryl E. Praeger Travel Awards are designed to provide full or partial support for Australian women, trans and gender diverse mathematicians to attend conferences or to visit collaborators. The Awards are named after Prof Cheryl E. Praeger AM FAA, in recognition of her contributions to supporting and encouraging women in mathematics.
There are two rounds of the Travel Awards per year, with closing dates on April 1 and on October 1 each year. Applications, using the application form and accompanied by a CV and other supporting documentation as detailed in the rules, should be sent to theSelection Committee via the email address email@example.com.
- The AustMS WIMSIG Anne Penfold Street Awards provide additional financial support to Australian mathematicians for their caring responsibilities, while they travel for conferences or research visits to collaborators. The Awards are named after Prof Anne Penfold Street AM, in recognition of her contributions to the advancement of knowledge across the broader mathematical community where she promoted the intellectual development of secondary and tertiary students, and actively supported the advancement of her peers.
The potential uses of these Awards include, but are not limited to, short-term childcare or professional carers for elderly relatives. These Awards are open to: individuals studying/working/living in Australia, regardless of gender, or members of organising committees for mathematics/statistics conferences to be held in Australia.
There are two rounds of the Street Awards per year, with closing dates on April 1 and on October 1 each year. Applications, using the application form and accompanied by a CV and other supporting documentation as detailed in the rules, should be sent to theSelection Committee via the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you read an interesting article? Have some news? Have an opportunity available?
Please send items to WIMSIGemail@example.com.
Note: Newsletters are published on the 1st day of each month (or soon after). The deadline for submitted items is the 27th day of each month.
To keep in touch in between newsletters, follow @wimsigAU on Twitter.