WIMSIG NEWSLETTER — October 2022
WIMSIG Executive Committee Call for Nominations
At the end of 2022, WIMSIG will be electing two new members for the Executive Committee, to commence terms in February 2023. The positions that will be open and the length of term are as follows.
- Treasurer — 2 year term
- 2 x Ordinary Member — 2 year term
- Student Member — 1 year term
If you are interested in the opportunity to lead the drive for gender equity in Australian Mathematics, please consider nominating for a position by November 30. If you have any questions about these roles, please contact the WIMSIG Chair, Catherine Greenhill (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Returning Officer is Cecilia González Tokman (email@example.com).
Usually a nominee acts as nominator (self-nomination) and needs another nominator to support their nomination. Both nominee and nominator should be WIMSIG members. The nominee should email the Returning Officer with the following information: the nominee’s name, the name and email address of the nominator, the role, and a statement from the nominee on why they would like to take on that role. This statement will be sent out to the WIMSIG membership list should there be an election. The nominator will be contacted by the Returning Officer directly.
Annual WIMSIG Business Meeting and Dinner
The annual WIMSIG Dinner will be held (in person) on Monday 5 December as part of the 66th Annual Meeting of the Australian Mathematical Society at UNSW Sydney. The WIMSIG Dinner is free to all participants of the AustMS meeting, regardless of gender or membership of WIMSIG. The purpose of the dinner is to support women, trans and gender diverse people, and particularly early career researchers, to enter and establish careers in mathematics. Come along to hear about the careers of the AustMS 2022 women plenary speakers, to discuss issues concerning women, trans and gender diverse people in mathematics in Australia, and to network with fellow WIMSIG members and supporters.
The annual WIMSIG Business Meeting will also be held on Monday 5 December, prior to the WIMSIG Dinner. As with the Dinner, anyone interested in WIMSIG activities is welcome to attend the Business Meeting.
The University of Western Australia
- Research Associate / Fellow in Complex Systems (2yrs, fixed term)
— Closing date: Friday 7 October, 2022
Australian National University
- Research Fellow — Hydrology (fixed term, 2yrs)
— Closing date: Monday 10 October, 2022
The University of Melbourne
- Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Applied Mathematics (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Tuesday 18 October, 2022
- Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Statistics (Data Science) (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Tuesday 18 October, 2022
The University of Adelaide
- Lecturer / Senior Lecturer (teaching focused) in the School of Mathematical Sciences (3yrs, fixed term)
— Closing date: Friday 28 October, 2022
Auckland Bioengineering Institute (New Zealand)
Two PhD Scholarships in Mathematical Biology
- Electrophysiology of menstruation; a multiscale modelling approach
- Using agent-based modelling to understand how structural characteristics affect endometriotic lesion dynamics
For more information, contact Dr Claire Miller via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
University of Virginia (USA)
University of Virginia (UVa) is currently working to improve representation of women and students from other groups traditionally underrepresented in mathematics. The UVa graduate program offers full support to PhD students, with paid tuition and fees as well as a living stipend through a modest teaching assistantship. For more information, please visit https://math.virginia.edu/graduate/.
- Women are doing too much and it’s hurting their mental health, Pursuit (The University of Melbourne)
— Sept 1, 2022
- Sheila Tobias, Who Defined ‘Math Anxiety,’ Dies at 86, The New York Times — Sept 9, 2022
- Most US professors are trained at same few elite universities, Nature — Sept 21, 2022
Have you read an interesting article? Have some news? Have an opportunity available?
Please send items to WIMSIGemail@example.com.
Note: Newsletters are published on the 1st day of each month (or soon after). The deadline for submitted items is the 27th day of each month.
To keep in touch in between newsletters, follow @wimsigAU on Twitter.