WIMSIG NEWSLETTER — March 2022
PhD student Adriana Zanca has won the 2022 TM Cherry Prize
PhD student Adriana Zanca was awarded the 2022 TM Cherry Prize for best student presentation at the 58th Australia and New Zealand Industrial and Applied Mathematics Conference (ANZIAM 2022). She was a co-winner of the prize with Michael Denes (UNSW).
Professor Natalie Thamawatanna (Newcastle) appointed Chair of ANZIAM for 2022
Prof Natalie Thamawatanna served deputy chair of ANZIAM for 2021 and is pleased to take up the role of Chair. In 2017–2018, Natalie served on the WIMSIG committee. WIMSIG congratulates Natalie on taking another leadership role within the Australian mathematical community.
Women in STEM ambassador program has received renewed funding
Astronomer Prof Lisa Harvey Smith (UNSW) was appointed as the inaugural Women in STEM ambassador in 2018. She has assembled a fabulous team of researchers, program coordinators, and media liaisons to create a variety of initiatives that raise the profile of women in STEM. We are pleased that an additional six million dollars in funding has been announced by the Minister for Science and Technology, Hon Melissa Price.
Nominations for 2022 Gavin Brown Prize
Nominate an outstanding and innovative piece of research in the mathematical sciences for the 2022 Gavin Brown Prize. The Gavin Brown Prize honours an outstanding piece of work by members of the AustMS, published in the last decade. We invite all WIMSIG members to recognise the achievements of colleagues by making a nomination. Rules of the prize can be found at https://austms.org.au/awards-grants/awards/gavin-brown-best-paper-prize/. Nominations close May 20, and may be made here. For more information, contact Julie Clutterbuck (Selection Committee Chair) at email@example.com.
March 7 is International Women in Data Science Day!
The QUT Centre for Data Science (CDS) is proud to partner with the Australian Data Science Network (ADSN) to help celebrate International Women in Data Science Day! We are hosting both in-person and virtual events on the day for you to join in on! You’ll get to hear from 12 amazing women over the course of a half-day. Register at https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/women-in-data-science-day-2022-tickets-263960211097.
Australian National University
- Associate Professor, Senior Lecturer, or Lecturer in Mathematics — Female Only (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Friday 4 March, 2022
- Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Applied and/or Computational Mathematics (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Friday 4 March, 2022
Griffith University (Gold Coast)
- Lecturer (Level B) in Applied Mathematics and Physics (fixed term until June 30, 2026)
— Closing date: Saturday 12 March, 2022
- Associate Lecturer/Lecturer in Mathematical Sciences (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Sunday 20 March, 2022
- Professor in Applied Mathematics/Data Science (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Wednesday 30 March, 2022
- Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor in Applied Mathematics (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Sunday 10 April, 2022
Kirby Institute (UNSW Sydney)
- PhD Scholarship in Mathematical Modelling in Infection and Immunity
— Closing date: Friday 29 April, 2022
- How bullying becomes a career tool, Nature Human Behaviour — Feb 7, 2022
- Female scientists can advance by saying: ‘Yes, I’ll do it’, Nature — Feb 8, 2022
- Science academies and disciplinary groups have work to do on gender equality, The Conversation — Feb 10, 2022
- How To Inspire The Future Women Of STEM As A Business And As A Society, Forbes — Feb 11, 2022
- Girls still fall behind boys in top scores for AP math exams, The Conversation — Feb 16, 2022
- How we can support female leaders in STEM in 2022 and beyond, Women’s Agenda — Feb 16, 2022
- Princess Anne says it’s “essential” to celebrate women in STEM following lockdown, BAZAAR — February 2022
Have you read an interesting article? Have some news? Have an opportunity available?
Please send items to WIMSIGfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Newsletters are published on the 1st day of each month (or soon after). The deadline for submitted items is the 27th day of each month.
To keep in touch in between newsletters, follow @wimsigAU on Twitter.