WIMSIG NEWSLETTER — April 2022
Asian and Oceanian Women in Mathematics: Call for Founding Members, Coordinators, Executive Committee nominations
A new group, Asian and Oceanian Women in Mathematics (AOWM), will be officially founded later this year. Interested WIMSIG members are invited to join as Founding Members. To apply for membership of AOWM, please fill in the membership form which can be found here and email it to WIMSIGemail@example.com together with (a) your CV and (b) a brief statement in the body of the email, explaining why you would like to join AOWM.
Please also contact Catherine Greenhill (WIMSIG Chair) if you would like to be nominated for one of the following roles, or if you have any questions about these roles:
- AOWM Coordinators for Australia — Coordinators will facilitate communication between the AOWM Executive Committee and members of AOWM in Australia. We have been asked to nominate one or two Coordinators by the end of June 2022.
- Member of the first Executive Committee of AOWM — We have been asked to nominate one Australian-based researcher by the end of April 2022. If you are interested, please contact Catherine as soon as possible!
MATRIX-Simons Family Fund
MATRIX seeks to lower the barrier for participation in mathematics research by mathematicians with carer responsibilities. The MATRIX-Simons International Family Fund supports the costs of international airfares for children and partners or carers, on top of additional housing, living support and access to local child care services (where required). Eligible applicants must be an invited participant to a MATRIX research program in 2022, 2023 or 2024 and a researcher (all levels) employed at a non-Australian academic institution.
Details on other funding opportunities funded by MATRIX and the Simons Foundation can be accessed here.
Emeritus Professor Cheryl Praeger appointed to Science and Technology Council
Minister for Science and Technology, the Honorable Melissa Price, announced two new appointments to the Science at Technology Council, including Emeritus Professor Cheryl Praeger (UWA). The Science and Technology Council is a team of senior Australian scientist who provide advice to the Prime Minister and other members of government on issues relating to science and technology. Congratulations to Cheryl on the appointment!
Women in Maths Day — May 12
WIMSIG are calling for applications for funding to support Women in Mathematics Day events in 2022. The applications should contain a description of the event and a proposed budget. Applications should be sent to the WIMSIG Treasurer, Valentina Wheeler. Funding is partially supported by ACEMS.
The University of Melbourne
- Research Fellow in Statistical and Computational Techniques (fixed term, 2yrs)
— Closing date: Thursday 7 April, 2022
- Research Fellow in Applied Probability (fixed term until 2023, start and end dates TBC)
— Closing date: Monday 11 April, 2022
- Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor in Applied Mathematics (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Sunday 10 April, 2022
UNSW Sydney has several jobs open at present — in particular, there are two openings for Lecturers in Applied Mathematics with a focus on mathematical modelling, stochastics, and the interface between the research groups in the School of Mathematics and Statistics. Women and those from a diverse background are particularly encouraged to apply. There are also two positions in Statistics open (one at Level B/C and the other at Level B that is education focussed).
- 2 x Lecturer in Applied Mathematics (5yrs fixed term, convertible to continuing)
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Statistics (5yrs fixed term, convertible to continuing)
- Lecturer in Statistics – Education Focussed (5yrs fixed term, convertible to continuing)
The closing date for all positions is Tuesday 26 April, 2022.
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Applied and Computational Mathematics (full time, continuing)
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Algebra (full time, continuing)
- Research Fellow in Numerical Analysis (fixed term, 2yrs)
- Research Fellow in Scientific Computing and Numerical Analysis (fixed term, 2yrs)
The closing date for all positions is Thursday 28 April, 2022.
Kirby Institute (UNSW Sydney)
- PhD Scholarship in Mathematical Modelling in Infection and Immunity
— Closing date: Friday 29 April, 2022
Queensland University of Technology (QUT)
- Research Fellow in Mathematical Decision Science (fixed term, 2yrs)
— Closing date: Monday 2 May, 2022
- Women Are Creating a New Culture for Astronomy, Scientific American — April 2022
- The rise of citational justice: how scholars are making references fairer, Nature — March 22, 2022
- Men think they’re brighter than they are and women underestimate their IQ. Why?, The Conversation
— March 15, 2022
- Bias be gone! Can our unconscious prejudices be overcome?, The Conversation — March 8, 2022
Have you read an interesting article? Have some news? Have an opportunity available?
Please send items to WIMSIGfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Newsletters are published on the 1st day of each month (or soon after). The deadline for submitted items is the 27th day of each month.
To keep in touch in between newsletters, follow @wimsigAU on Twitter.