WIMSIG Mentoring Program
In response to the strong desire expressed by WIMSIG members via our 2017 survey for a mentoring program, WIMSIG launched a Pilot Mentoring Program in 2020. Following the success of the pilot program, another program was offered during 2021-2022. WIMSIG is excited to announce the launch of our mentoring program again in 2023! This will run from May to December. Further information, along with registration forms for prospective mentees and mentors, is provided below.
- Mentors can be Friends or Members of WIMSIG of any gender.
- Mentees should be Members of WIMSIG and identify as women, trans or gender diverse.
(See WIMSIG Rules of Procedure — Items 5 and 6.)
- To assist women, trans and gender diverse members to find a mentor suited to their desires and needs.
- To facilitate the establishment of a mentoring agreement between each mentor and mentee.
- To facilitate mentee-mentor relationships for a duration of up to one year.
- To create a safe and supportive environment for mentors and mentees that complies with the AustMS Code of Conduct.
- To create, and strengthen existing, professional networks for women, trans and gender diverse members of WIMSIG.
Structure and Timeline
- Expressions of interest by prospective mentors and mentees:
March 1 — April 15.
- Pairing of mentors and mentees by WIMSIG:
April 17 — May 1.
- Mentors and mentees notified by WIMSIG of their pairings:
- Initial survey to be completed by mentors and mentees: July/August.
- Close of scheme and completion of final survey by all mentors and mentees: Next January/February.
WIMSIG strongly encourages mentors and mentees to stay in touch but will have no further involvement.
Should either party (mentee or mentor) feel a mentoring relationship is not working properly, they may end the mentoring relationship. No blame is to be attributed to either party. This allows sensitive issues (clash of values, mentor inexperience, mentee non-commitment) to be addressed positively and without in-depth explanation. WIMSIG should be advised of the cessation of a mentoring relationship. In this event, a mentee may request that another mentor be assigned, although this is not guaranteed.
- Initial and completion surveys will be sent to both mentors and mentees.
- The aim of the Initial Survey (July/August) will be to check on progress and identify any issues that may need addressing. If not completed WIMSIG will deem that the mentoring arrangement is working successfully.
- The aim of the Completion Survey (January/February next year) will be to gauge the success of the pilot scheme and identify improvements and problems.
Expression of Interest — Prospective Mentees
Participation in the pilot mentoring scheme as a mentee requires that you:
Expression of Interest — Prospective Mentors
Participation in the pilot mentoring scheme as a mentor requires that you:
- A/Prof Xiaoping Lu, Chair and WIMSIG Representative
(School of Mathematics and Applied Statistics, University of Wollongong, NSW)
- Dr Melissa Humphries (School of Computer and Mathematical Sciences, University of Adelaide, SA)
- A/Prof Masoud Kamgarpour (School of Mathematics and Physics, The University of Queensland, QLD)
- The Industry Mentoring Network in STEM website provides some excellent down-loadable resources for both mentees and mentors.
- We strongly encourage all participants to define goals, etc. in a formal mentoring agreement and provide this WIMSIG Mentoring Agreement to assist with this.
WIMSIG would love to keep up to date with how your mentoring is going.
Let us know what you and your mentor have been up to and connect with other mentoring program participants on Twitter @wimsigAU using the hashtag #wimsigmentoring.
You may also email WIMSIG at any time with questions or feedback.