WIMSIG Job Opportunities
The University of Melbourne
- Senior Lecturer in Quantum Computing (full time, continuing)
— Closing date: Tuesday 6 September, 2022
Queensland University Technology
- Lecturer in Mathematical Sciences (fixed term, 18mths)
— Closing date: Friday 23 September, 2022
Australian National University
- Research Fellow — Hydrology (fixed term, 2yrs)
— Closing date: Monday 10 October, 2022
Curious Minds pairs established women in STEM with girls from regional, rural or low socio-economic backgrounds to help them gain confidence and explore their interest in STEM over a six-month period.
As a STEM Coach, you can:
- Make a difference in the life of a girl with a curious mind.
- Develop your own teaching and coaching skills.
- Create new networks with a group of awesome STEM women.
STEM Coaches will be required to:
- Attend the summer camp in December 2022 and the winter camp in July 2023.
- Attend three webinar training sessions and catch-ups.
- Check in with your student every three weeks.
Who is eligible?
We welcome STEM Coaches who identify as women and have at least one year experience working in their field. All STEM Coaches must have, or be able to obtain, a Working With Vulnerable People (or their state/territory equivalent).
We particularly need more STEM Coaches in the following areas:
- Computer Science and Information Technology
Applications open on September 1, and will close September 30.
Each year, we have growing demand for STEM Coaches. If you want to make a difference to a young girl interested in STEM, and can commit to the program, we strongly welcome you to apply.
Get involved in WIMSIG!
We are looking for WIMSIG members who would like to get more involved in some of our activities. Here are some ways you could contribute to WIMSIG’s goals of supporting women, trans and gender diverse people in the mathematical sciences in Australia:
- WIMSIG Treasurer (from January 2023)
- WIMSIG Newsletter Editor (from January 2023)
- Ordinary Member of the WIMSIG Executive Committee (from January 2023)
- Member of the Selection Committee, which decides on outcomes for the WIMSIG Cheryl E. Praeger Travel Award, the WIMSIG Anne Penfold Street Award and the AustMS-WIMSIG Maryam Mirzakhani Award (from mid-2022 or later)
- Member of the WIMSIG Mentoring Committee, which runs the WIMSIG Mentoring Scheme (from January 2023)
If you are interested in any of these roles, or would like more information, please email WIMSIG Chair, Catherine Greenhill (WIMSIGfirstname.lastname@example.org). Even if you’re just curious about possibly doing any of these roles in the future, we would love to hear from you.