Postdoctoral Research Associate in Mathematics/Multiple Time-Scale Dynamical Systems @Sydney
Location: School of Mathematics and Statistics, The University of Sydney, Camperdown Campus
Employment Type: Full time
Duration: 2-year fixed term appointment
Remuneration: $97,043–$100,717 p.a. + 17% superannuation (Level A)
Closing Date: 11.59pm; 23 October 2022
• Full time 2 year fixed term, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and Statistics
• Opportunity to make valuable contributions to research in multiple time-scale dynamical systems
About the opportunity
We are seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work on the project ‘A coordinate-independent theory for multi-time-scale dynamical systems’ which has recently been funded by the Australian Research Council. The aim of this project is to develop a comprehensive theory for multi-scale problems (i.e., more than two scales) with non-uniform scale splitting within the framework of geometric singular perturbation theory, and, hence, provide a firm theoretical foundation for the observed dynamical hierarchy in biochemical reaction networks described by non-standard multi-scale problems. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Professor Martin Wechselberger.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
• undertake research in multiple time-scale dynamical systems theory and its application
• publish research papers
• demonstrate research excellence.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics of the University of Sydney is one of the largest in Australia. It has more than 89 academic staff to supervise research and teaching 74 postgraduate students and 925 equivalent full-time student-load undergraduate students.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who has:
• a PhD (or near completion) in mathematics
• expertise in multi-scale dynamical systems
• knowledge about modelling and analysis of biological systems and biochemcial reaction networks is desirable
• demonstrated ability to conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision
• the ability and a willingness to collaborate in multidisciplinary teams to contribute to long-term research goals
• a strong track record of publishing their research
• excellent communication (written and verbal), organisational and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
• high level of interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
• a demonstrated ability to complete work in timely fashion and to write up results for publication.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all roles required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Learn more about this position and apply https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Camperdown-Campus/Postdoctoral-Research-Associate-in-Mathematics–Multiple-Time-Scale-Dynamical-Systems-_0094692-1.