Postdoctoral Research Associate in Mathematics and AI @Sydney
Location: Sydney Mathematical Research Institute (SMRI), The University of Sydney
Employment Type: Full time, located at the Camperdown Campus
Duration: 3 years fixed term appointment
Remuneration: $97,043–$100,717 p.a. + 17% superannuation (Level A)
Closing Date: 11.59pm; 18 January 2023
• Full time, 3 years fixed term, located at the Sydney Mathematical Research Institute (SMRI)
• Opportunity to contribute to research focused on mathematics and artificial intelligence and be part of world-class team of mathematicians
About the opportunity
We are one of the largest mathematical sciences schools in Australia, and the University of Sydney is the only Australian university to have received the highest rating of 5 out of 5 for research in the mathematical sciences in every Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia assessment to date. The University also hosts the Sydney Mathematical Research Institute (SMRI), which attracts leading mathematical scientists from all over the world to do research with Australian collaborators.
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Mathematics and AI. The successful applicant will undertake research embedded in one of the research groups in the School of Mathematics and Statistics and will be affiliated with SMRI under the supervision of Professor Geordie Williamson. Preference will be given to candidates working in the areas of applied mathematics, or theoretical or applied statistics, and who will be able to build capacity in these areas at SMRI through the organization of seminars, conferences, or outreach activities.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
• demonstrate research excellence in mathematics and its interactions with AI
• develop research collaborations
• assist with grant writing and publishing original work
• demonstrate development and implementation of algorithms in mathematics and machine learning
• develop your profile and the profile of SMRI in the areas of mathematics and AI through conferences and seminars.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Mathematics and AI who has:
• a Doctorate or PhD (or near completion) in mathematics or computer science
• primary research interests in mathematics and AI
• proven research excellence in these areas
• experience developing software, potentially with machine learning components
• demonstrated evidence of independent research ability and potential in an area of mathematics
• experience in research record keeping, preparation of research papers and presentation of seminars
• demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications skills, interacting with a variety of researchers.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all roles required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Learn more about this position and apply https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Postdoctoral-Research-Associate-in-Mathematics-and-AI_0098843-3.