Location: School of Mathematics and Statistics, The University of Sydney, Camperdown Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Duration: 2-year fixed term appointment
Remuneration: $97,043–$107,516 p.a. + 17% superannuation (Level B)
Closing Date: 3 October 2022
• Full time 2 year fixed term, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and Statistics
• Opportunity to make valuable contributions to research in Discrete Geometry and Combinatorial Topology
About the opportunity
We are one of the largest mathematical sciences schools in Australia. We have more than 89 academic staff to supervise research and teaching 74 postgraduate students and 925 equivalent full-time student-load undergraduate students. The University of Sydney is the only Australian university to have received the highest rating of 5 out of 5 for research in the mathematical sciences in every Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia assessment to date. The University also hosts the Sydney Mathematical Research Institute (SMRI), which attracts leading mathematical scientists from all over the world to do research with Australian collaborators.
We are seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Discrete Geometry, Combinatorial Topology, or a related field. The Australian Research Council has funded a research program into “Triangulations: linking geometry and topology with combinatorics”, through its Discovery Grant scheme, with the Chief Investigators Dr Jonathan Spreer (University of Sydney, Australia) and Professor Francisco Santos (Universidad de Cantabria, Santander, Spain).
Your key responsibilities will be to:
• undertake research in the areas of combinatorial topology, discrete geometry, and, in a broader sense, in geometric topology
• present research results at seminars and domestic and international conferences
• publish research papers
• support teaching activities and the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students..
An active interest in establishing close collaborations between the Australian and the European research communities in the field is highly desirable.
The Research Associate will be based at the University of Sydney, and visits to Universidad de Cantabria, Spain are planned to work with Professor Francisco Santos during the project.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer who has:
• a PhD or near completion in pure mathematics and equivalent combination of training and experience
• demonstrated ability to conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision
• the ability and a willingness to collaborate in multidisciplinary teams to contribute to long-term research goals
• a strong track record of publishing their research
• excellent communication (written and verbal), organisational and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
• high level of interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all roles required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Learn more about this position and apply https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Camperdown-Campus/Postdoctoral-Research-Associate-in-Discrete-Geometry—Combinatorial-Topology_0094551-1.