University of Technology Sydney
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
A PhD place is available starting in 2021 in the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences at the University of Technology Sydney, to work with Professor Murray Elder (UTS) and Dr Adam Piggott (ANU) on the project “Geodetic groups: foundational problems in algebra and computer science”.
Candidates with a strong interest and demonstrated skills in algebra, combinatorics and/or theoretical computer science are sought, who are able to contribute collaboratively to a research team as well as being able to work independently and self-motivated.
The recipient must be a domestic student (Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident or NZ Citizen). Applicants from all backgrounds including traditionally underrepresented groups are welcomed.
- First class Honours or MSc or equivalent
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Demonstrated organisational skills, time management and ability to work to deadlines
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as a member of a team
- Previous studies or work in geometric group theory and/or formal language theory, automata, rewriting systems
- Programming skills
The recipient will receive a domestic Commonwealth Research Training Program scholarship (RTP Stipend) at the 2021 indexed RTP rate of $28,597 pa for 3 years.
The successful student will be expected to enrol for Research Session 1 (previously known as Autumn Session) between 1 January to 30 May 2021.
Please direct enquiries to Murray.Elder@uts.edu.au