School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
The University of Newcastle
Closing Date: 31st March 2021
A Ph.D. position is available in 2021 to work with Dr Stephan Tornier and other members of the Zero-Dimensional Symmetry Research Group on the ARC DECRA project “Effective classification of closed vertex-transitive groups acting on trees”.
Candidates with a strong interest and demonstrated skills in at least one of the following areas are encouraged to apply: (topological) group theory, computational algebra (e.g. with GAP), graph theory, combinatorics.
The successful candidate is expected to be able to work independently and self-motivated, as well as contribute collaboratively to the research team.
An ARC PhD stipend at the 2021 indexed rate of $28,612 p.a. is available for up to 3.5 years.
- Masters or First Class Honours in mathematics, or equivalent
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills
- Demonstrated problem solving ability and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated skills in (topological) group theory, computational algebra, graph theory and combinatorics.
- Programming skills
Please direct expressions of interest to email@example.com by March 31, 2021.