Membership of the Society is open to mathematicians, and those with mathematical interests.
To join the Society, please fill out the Membership Application
Benefits of Membership
Join us and:
- become a member of a group of nearly a thousand of Australia’s leading mathematicians
- obtain accreditation as a professional mathematician through the Society’s accreditation program
- receive complimentary issues of the Gazette (5 times a year) containing articles of interest to all mathematicians
- purchase at a much reduced price, the Society’s internationally recognized research journals:
the Journals of the AustMS, the ANZIAM Journal, and the Bulletin
- purchase texts in the Australian Mathematical Society’s Lecture Series at 25% discount
- pay reduced registration fees at many conferences organised by, or sponsored by, the Australian Mathematical Society
- enjoy free membership as an undergraduate student of Mathematics and as a postgraduate student in Mathematics or related disciplines. Conditions apply.
- Student members may be eligible for travel grant attending the Annual Meeting of the Society.
The society has nine classes of individual membership: Honorary members, ordinary members, sustaining members, reciprocal members, reduced rate members, retired members, education member, life members and student members.
- Ordinary Membership is our standard membership category, and is the category to which most members belong. Members who naturally belong to this category can choose instead to contribute as sustaining members.
- Reduced rate membership is open to internationally enrolled students and those not in full-time employment (eg casual, part-time and not in paid employment).
- Free student membership
- Undergraduate students of mathematics enrolled at an Australian institution are eligible for free membership for up to 4 years of study, subject to annual confirmation of eligibility by the student.
- Honours and postgraduate students in mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics or mathematical finance, enrolled at an Australian institution are eligible for free membership for up to 6 years of study, subject to annual confirmation of eligibility by the student.
- Reciprocal membership is open to members of societies with which the Australian Mathematical Society has a reciprocity agreement.
- Sustaining membership provides a way of supporting the Society in a more substantial way. Half of the sustaining membership fee is set aside for endowment funds to finance large projects.
- Early career membership is available for up to 5 years immediately after completion of the applicant’s last degree (Bachelor, Master’s or PhD), at 50% of the Ordinary membership rate. The 5 years of this membership can be taken only once, and not claimed again later in life if the member does further study. The applicant must provide a copy of the certificate to apply for this membership.
- Life membership is available to those who retire at or after the age of 55, on the payment of a single fee.
- A person distinguished for the promotion, extension or application of mathematical knowledge may be elected by the Council as an Honorary Member of the Society.
- Special Education membership is open to members of the Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers and the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia.
- Institutions, associations and other organisations may become institutional members.
- Retired membership is available to those who have retired. Members who qualify for this category can choose instead to contribute either as ordinary members or as sustaining members.
- Free membership is for members 70 years old and above and have been an AustMS member for at least 30 years. Members who qualify for this category can choose instead to contribute as retired members, as ordinary members, or as sustaining members.
The Society operates a formal accreditation process: upon application and the payment of a once-only fee you can be accredited as a professional mathematician at the level of Graduate, Accredited Member or Fellow, according to your qualifications and experience. Find out more about accreditation.
AustMS has reciprocal membership with many other mathematical societies, making the benefits of membership of societies like the American Mathematical Society available at reduced rates. Find out more about reciprocal membership.
The subscription for the year 2022 is $153 (but only half this amount for the first year of membership) plus $32 for the option of ANZIAM and ANZAMP memberships respectively. (Student members may be eligible for free membership for up to 10 years.)
Find out more about Subscription fees.