Location: La Trobe University, Bundoora campus; Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Employment Type: Continuing (Full Time)
Remuneration: Level B or Level C Academic Appointment
Closing Date: 17 September 2023
Job no: 564041
About the position
This position is located in the Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, part of the School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematical Sciences in Melbourne (Bundoora) campus. The School has three departments: Computer Science and Information Technology, Engineering, and Mathematical and Physical Sciences on both Melbourne (Bundoora) and Bendigo campuses.The Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences is comprised of active teaching and research staff across the broad disciplines of applied mathematics, pure mathematics, statistics, and physics. The Department offers undergraduate majors in mathematics, statistics, data science, and physics, and also provides many important subjects that are undertaken by students from a diverse range of courses and disciplinary backgrounds (eg. engineering, life sciences, education). Several members hold national and other teaching awards. The Australian Research Council’s Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA2018) ranks the Department’s mathematical sciences as ‘above world standard’, and physical sciences research as ‘well above world standard.’ Reporting to the Head of Department of Mathematics and Physical Sciences a Level B and/or Level C teaching and research academic is expected to develop curriculum, teach and/or undertake research and/or other scholarly work relevant to the development of their discipline or professional field.
A selection of your duties will include:
- Contribute to cross-disciplinary teaching development and delivery across the Department and School as required.
- Design, coordinate and teach subjects and courses which provide a high-quality learning experience in the areas of mathematics and data science that engages undergraduate, honours and postgraduate students.
- Design innovative and effective curriculum which reflects developing best practice nationally and internationally, utilising various methodologies including online and blended learning.
- Conduct and lead innovative and high impact research in the area of pure mathematics and produce conference and seminar papers and publications resulting from that research.
- Supervise Higher Degree by Research (HDR), honours and postgraduate students.
Skills & Experience
- Completion of a PhD or equivalent accreditation and standing recognised by the University/profession as appropriate for the relevant discipline area.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in curriculum development and teaching with a commitment to excellence in teaching.
- Demonstrate ability to participate/lead industry/government engagement and/or relevant research.
- Strong record of research publication, with appropriate evidence of quality and impact.
Please refer to the Position Description for other duties, skills and experience required for this position.
- 17% employer contributed superannuation
- On site child care facilities
- Flexible work arrangements
- Discounts for staff and their family members to study a range of La Trobe courses
For more information and to apply, please visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/533/caw/en/job/564041/lecturersenior-lecturer-pure-mathematics.
Position Enquiries: Dr Narelle Brack, Head of Department, Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: (03) 9479 3808
Recruitment Enquiries: Vicki Stavrou, Senior Talent Acquisition Business Partner, Email: email@example.com, Phone: (03) 9479 5191