Closing date: 17 August 2023; 11:59pm
Campus: School of Mathematics and Statistics at the Camperdown Campus, The University of Sydney
Remuneration: Base Salary Level B, $113K – $134K + 17% superannuation
Status: Full time, 3 years, fixed term.
• Full time, 3 Years Fixed Term. Located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and Statistics
• Opportunity to join a vibrant and collegial community of world-class mathematicians and statisticians
• Base Salary, Level B $113K – $134K p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We are one of the largest mathematical sciences schools in Australia, and the University of Sydney is the only Australian university to have received the highest rating of 5 out of 5 for research in the mathematical sciences in every Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia assessment to date. The University also hosts the Sydney Mathematical Research Institute (SMRI), which attracts leading mathematical scientists from all over the world to do research with Australian collaborators. We are currently seeking to appoint an accomplished academic to the position of Lecturer in Mathematics. To succeed, you will be a talented and well-qualified mathematician with a passion for teaching and research expertise in an area that strengthens the school’s profile and align with the research interests of SMRI’s director Professor Geordie Williamson. This includes, but is not limited to algebra, geometry and representation theory. In particular, researchers with background in geometric representation theory, algebraic geometry or homotopy theory are particularly encouraged to apply. You will need to have appropriate skills and qualifications as outlined in the position description, including a PhD in Mathematics.
If appointed, you will be expected to undertake duties consistent with an appointment at the Lecturer level (Level B) on the Australian academic scale. This will include: publishing scholarly papers in international peer-reviewed journals and presenting at conferences; supervising undergraduate and postgraduate students; teaching a range of courses to undergraduate students; and applying for external funding.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer who has:
• a PhD in Mathematics
• evidence of independent research ability
• demonstrated evidence of independent research ability and potential in an area of Mathematics
• published research, as a sole author or in collaboration, in refereed journals
• evidence of ability, versatility and commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching
• ability to supervise students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
• evidence of administration and course coordination within a university environment and the ability to apply for competitive research funding would be highly desirable.
The position is full-time fixed-term for three years, subject to completion of a satisfactory probation and confirmation period for new appointees.
To apply for this role, please submit the below three documents in addition to your CV, in support of your application:
- cover letter outlining your suitability for this position
- research statement, with a focus on where you see your research in 3 years
- teaching statement, with a focus on approaches you utilize for effective teaching
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
For more information and to apply: https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Darlington-Campus/Lecturer-in-Mathematics_0107501-1
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.