KU Leuven / University of Melbourne
The Universities of Melbourne and KU Leuven have created a new, international joint PhD. Graduate researchers spend a minimum of 12 months at each university and are eligible to graduate with a jointly awarded PhD recognised with a testamur from each university.
- Gain complementary skills from international colleagues to increase the impact of their research
- Grow their international networks and develop a truly global perspective
- Become part of two high-quality research environments and cultures
Two funded projects are available as part of a joint PhD collaboration between The University of Melbourne (UoM) and KU Leuven (Belgium). Graduate Researchers (GRs) participating in the joint program will be enrolled at both institutions and will spend a minimum of 12 months at the host institution. The research work will be performed under joint supervision, with one primary supervisor from each of the two institutions. All candidates must meet the eligibility requirements to successfully enrol at both universities. The successful candidates will be funded by either UoM or KU Leuven. This funding includes a full scholarship, health insurance and mobility support.
The project is in the field of Random Matrix Theory (RMT) and encompasses topics in Probability, Analysis and Mathematical Physics. You will analyse the relation of real and complex eigenvalues of certain deformations of random matrix ensembles at finite as well as infinite matrix dimensions. Applications can be found in quantum field theory, for instance. You do not need prior knowledge in RMT, though good analytical skills are advisable as well as a lot of enthusiasm.
- MSc or equivalent
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Demonstrated organisational skills, time management and ability to work to priorities;
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities and analytical skills;
- The ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Information on projects, eligibility, application process and closing dates is available on the website.