The George Szekeres Medal was established in 2001 for “an outstanding contribution to the mathematical sciences”.
A medallion, bearing Professor George Szekeres’ portrait, was presented to him at the Annual Conference in 2002, the first year of the award.
Prior to 2020 the George Szekeres Medal was awarded only in even numbered years.
From 2021 it is awarded annually, to at most a single recipient.
(Find out more about background and rules of the medal.)
George Szekeres Medal winners to date are:
- 2022 — Professor Igor Shparlinski (citation)
- 2021 — Professor Mathai Varghese FAA FAustMS (citation)
- 2020 — Professor Nalini Joshi AO FAA FRSN FAustMS (citation)
and Professor S. Ole Warnaar FAA FAustMS (citation)
- 2018 — Professor Peter Taylor
- 2016 — Professor James M. Hill FAustMS
and Professor Gus Lehrer AM, FAA, FAustMS
- 2014 — Professor C.E. Praeger AM, FAA, FAustMS
- 2012 — Professor Ross Street FAA, FAustMS
and Professor Neil Trudinger FAA, FRS, FAustMS
- 2010 — Professor Peter Hall FAA, FRS, FAustMS
- 2008 — Professor J. Hyam Rubinstein FAA
- 2006 — Professor Anthony J. Guttmann FAA
- 2004 — Dr Robert S. Anderssen AM
- 2002 — Professor Ian H. Sloan FAA
and Professor Alf van der Poorten AM