The Australian Mathematical Society (AustMS) is the national society of the mathematics profession in Australia.
Founded in 1956, our mission is the promotion and extension of mathematical knowledge and its applications. We represent all professional mathematicians in Australia, both pure and applied.
The special interests of applied mathematicians are represented by a division of AustMS, ANZIAM (Australia and New Zealand Industrial and Applied Mathematics). Those of mathematical physicists are represented by the Society’s other division, ANZAMP (Australian and New Zealand Association of Mathematical Physics).
The Society cooperates with a number of related organisations.
- Promotes mathematics in the community (through programs such as the “Sticking with Mathematics” media campaign)
- Represents the interests of the profession to government
- Produces publications and submissions
- Holds meetings and events.
- Provides awards in recognition of outstanding contributions to the mathematical sciences
We operate under the AustMS constitution and our operations are managed by the Society’s office bearers. We have a Code of Conduct which is intended to establish the standards of good conduct that are expected of all Society Members.