Location: School of Mathematics and Statistics, The University of Sydney, Camperdown Campus
Employment Type: Full time
Remuneration: competitive (see application link below)
Closing Date: 11.59pm; 27 November 2022
• Exciting opportunity for an outstanding senior academic who is a leading authority within their discipline
• Located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and Statistics
• Continuing position with an attractive remuneration package
About the opportunity
The School of Mathematics and Statistics is one of the largest mathematical sciences schools in Australia and is world-renowned for its research in pure mathematics, applied mathematics and mathematical statistics. The school attracts a strong body of excellent students as well as a large number of outstanding researchers, many of whom hold Fellowships and grants.
We are seeking to appoint an outstanding Associate Professor/Professor in Statistical Data Science to our School of Mathematics and Statistics. The School of Mathematics and Statistics is looking to expand its capacity in research and engagement in Data Science & Applied Statistics. Therefore, we are looking for a candidate who has a wide network of established relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders that can be leveraged to enhance the standing of the specialty, school, faculty and University. Additionally, The University of Sydney is planning to implement a new online masters course, the Master of Data Analytics. The course will be led by the Faculty of Science and draw on expertise from across the University to create a distinctive offering that will support career advancement across industries and sectors.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
• undertake research in multiple time-scale dynamical systems theory and its application
• publish research papers
• demonstrate research excellence.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Associate Professor/Professor in Statistical Data Science who has:
• curriculum design expertise that can connect modern research in Statistics to teaching and engagement opportunities in Data Science
• experience in online teaching and curriculum development and will lead and teach into the Master of Data Analytics initiative, coordinating its development, implementation, and the associated UoSs.
• an independent and active research line in Applied Statistics or Data Science, compatible with the high standards and aspirations of our school and University
• a distinguished record of teaching excellence shown through student outcomes
• a distinguished record in research commensurate with your level of experience including competitive research grants, publications, and evidence of recognition within the broader discipline
• the potential to attract external funding and connect to partners both external and internal to the University
• experience supervising and supporting higher degree research students and Honours students.
We are ideally looking to appoint at the Associate Professor or Professor level. For exceptional talent, however, we would also consider emerging scholars appointable at the Senior Lecturer level or industry professionals capable of operating effectively in an academic environment and appointable as a Professor of Practice.
Further information about the typical responsibilities for each of these types of appointments is included in the Position Descriptions on the application page.
NOTE: This is a regular 40:40:20 position but it will be directed to the coordination of the Master of Data Analytics.
Term and remuneration
This will be a continuing appointment. The successful candidate will be offered a competitive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and the candidate’s relevant experience and qualifications.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all roles required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Learn more about this position and apply: https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Darlington-Campus/Associate-Professor-Professor-in-Statistical-Data-Science_0097939-1
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact: Lucy Porter (Senior Talent Partner, Senior Talent Acquisition, Recruitment Operations) on +61 429 771 115 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.